Bodybuilding has long been overgrown with a huge number of myths and stereotypes. The “couch army” accuses those who spend hours building up their muscles in the gym for “pumping” with steroids and chemistry, not believing that the result can be achieved in other ways. The main fear of young people who come to the gym is that hard work on their body and preparation for bodybuilding competitions will inevitably lead to health problems. Let’s understand the intricacies of this issue.
Steroids are taken by almost all athletes who are seriously engaged in gyms. Some admit it anonymously, some openly. And in this, despite the danger to health, there is a certain logic: with drugs you can achieve results in a year that would take five to six years without them. At the same time, as a rule, no one campaigns for steroids. They are accepted to meet the criteria of judges in competitions, including bodybuilding.
Steroids, or anabolics, accelerate the process of muscle tissue recovery and promote faster protein synthesis. They are suppliers to the body of an additional growth hormone – testosterone. This results in increased strength and muscle mass. In parallel with this process, anabolics tend to block catabolic reactions in the body, which lead to an increase in body fat and loss of lean body mass.
Often, anabolic steroids are used in cycles, the duration of which is influenced by the type of substance and the experience and fitness of the athlete. You need to take breaks between cycles. Some use several types of steroids at the same time, believing that this increases their effectiveness. Anabolics are used by injection, in the form of tablets, special patches that are glued to certain areas of the skin, as well as in the form of creams.
Bodybuilding and taking anabolics – 4 recommendations for athletes
Many people who play sports pursue the goal of promoting health. Also, do not forget that regular physical activity has a positive effect on a person’s mood, making him cheerful and active.
It is necessary from time to time to take a course of hormone replacement therapy, while increasing physical activity. The athlete’s diet deserves special attention. During therapy, caloric content increases, mainly due to the predominance of protein (since protein is the building material for muscles).
Bodybuilding and anabolics – how to protect yourself
- If you are a competitive athlete who is preparing your body for performance, you must start hormone replacement therapy within three months (before the scheduled date).
- In parallel, physical activity increases (both their intensity and duration). Taking steroids causes the activation of the growth of muscle cells and tissues. Thus, muscle mass will increase, and fat will decrease. It is steroids that allow you to activate the growth of muscle cells, stop the development of fat.
- The use of anabolics allows you to make the body “dry”. This is exactly the result that bodybuilders need before the performance. But here the emphasis should be placed not only on steroids, but also on the exclusion of carbohydrates from the diet. Also, the total caloric content of the diet is reduced.
- Of course, proper physical activity is important. The training plan should be consistent with your goals, your physical capabilities, strengthening the skeleton, as well as building muscle mass. It is important to regularly change the training plan, working out certain muscle groups. This will make the body ideal in terms of proportions. During this period, cardio training is best minimized.
What are the steroids
The term “steroid” refers to a broad class of organic compounds composed of hormones and vitamins with a structure containing four carbon rings.
Steroid hormones can be divided into two categories; corticosteroids and anabolic steroids, each with different functions.
Anabolic steroids have the ability to build muscle, which explains their prevalence in bodybuilding. On the other hand, corticosteroids perform functions important in the treatment of various diseases and allergies, which is why you will not find them in a bodybuilding steroid cycle.
What are anabolic steroids
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that mimic testosterone. Testosterone is a male sex hormone that is important for healthy libido levels (aka sex drive), the development of male secondary sex characteristics (facial and body hair, a deeper voice) and, most importantly for bodybuilders, muscle development.
Adding anabolic steroids to already normal testosterone levels can lead to increased muscle size and strength, as well as unpredictable effects on other organs.
What are the types of steroids
Anabolic steroids come in many forms, simply because they are made in laboratories. Here are just a few of them:
- Nandrolone decanoate (trade name: Deca-Durabolin)
- Stanozolol (Winstrol)
- Methandrostenolone (Dianabol)
Dangers when using steroids
When a person with normal testosterone levels takes anabolic steroids, they can cause both short-term and long-term side effects in their body, including:
- Cardiovascular disease and damage to internal organs
- Liver disease and liver cancer
- breast growth
- Water retention
- Increasing cholesterol levels